Filipino Champorado is a beloved sweet dish all Filipino children grow up eating at least once in their life (usually more, because it’s soooo good). What is Filipino Champorado? It’s a chocolate rice pudding or porridge, made with coconut milk, and commonly served for breakfast with a topping or side of bacon or salted fish. My brother and I grew up eating Champorado as a special breakfast, and we cheered (and finished our bowls in 2 minutes) every time. Now as a mom, I’m happy I get to make and share this very same Filipino Champorado Recipe with my own kids. And with my Instant Pot, making Filipino Champorado Chocolate Rice Pudding is faster and easier than ever. Read on for my Chocolate Rice Pudding Filipino Champorado Recipe below.
INSTANT POT FILIPINO CHAMPORADO RECIPE (CHOCOLATE RICE PUDDING)
Total Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup sweet short grain rice
- 2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened (I like So Delicious Coconut Milk the best)
- 1 cup malted cocoa powder
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream (vegan option: So Delicious Coconut Creamer)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- optional: bacon bits or salted fish for topping
- Wash the rice thoroughly. Drain and place it inside the Instant Pot.
- Add water
- Select the RICE button on the Instant Pot and set for 8 minutes
- When pressure cooking is complete, natural Release for 10 minutes
- Open the Instant Pot and turn on the Saute function.
- Add the rest of the Champorado ingredients (malted cocoa powder, coconut milk, Himalayan Sea salt, and chocolate chips) except the sugar and coconut creamer and add more water if necessary.
- Stir continuously, making sure that the cocoa powder and chocolate chips are completely dissolved.
- Add coconut sugar
- To serve, drizzle heavy cream on top and top with crispy bacon or salted fish. Serve hot.